Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Employee Engagement Secret from Vineet Nayar - Don't be a boss, be a leader!

Vineet Nayar - World Economic Forum Annual Mee...
Vineet Nayar - World Economic Forum Annual Meeting Davos 2009 (Photo credit: World Economic Forum)

Vineet Nayar, CEO of HCL, has been one of my favourite CEO’s and thought leaders for reasons he explains here. In a new Harvard Blog he writes about the reasons for demoralization and disengagement in teams. He describes the following incident when a young manager tells him-
"I've tried using different leadership styles, but I can't seem to dispel my team's sense of disengagement," he confessed. "I don't understand what I'm doing wrong."
"Why don't you ask your team?" I asked him.
The reply surprised him.
Nayar believes lack of team engagement is primarily because the managers aren’t listening to their team members. He feels manager should do more of the following:

Call a spade a spade- Gen Y wants its leaders to "Let people know where they really stand. They know how to win if we tell them the score."
Stop telling me what I know. Give us "freedom, exposure, and guidance"
Gen Y is looking for role models- "Walk the talk and set me an example. I need to know that we are in it together," and "Do away with the lack of congruence between your actions and your words because I need to trust you." 
"Reward performance, not sycophancy."-  Stop playing favorites.
Don't be a boss, be a leader. "Stop trying to control people...," "A boss inspires fear, a leader inspires enthusiasm."
You can read his entire post here.  Also read my post  The Only Secret To Get Employee Engagement Right For Your Company where I disclose the secret to Employee Engagement, Team Motivation and Delegating responsibilities. 

Related Posts- 

 

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment